The U.S. is in the midst of a renaissance for entrepreneurs and start-up businesses. However, to succeed as a start-up and grow into a viable business, it takes more than the next great idea—it takes strategic planning so that your business is properly structured and your intellectual property is protected. While there are many resources available to start-ups: incubators; accelerators; angel investors; and the like, the attorneys at Janik Vinnakota help ensure your business can navigate through all of the over-hyped promises of promoters and investors looking to “help” your business. At Janik Vinnakota, our single focus is to protect your ideas and your business so you can reach your goals.
The Next Great Idea
Janik Vinnakota’s relationship with entrepreneurs often start when our clients have little more than an idea. We can help advise on the first steps to take:
- Are you still attracting the perfect team? What does it take to put the team together and how should your new venture be structured, not only for compensation but to attract future investors?
- Is your idea a “patentable” invention? If so, have you properly documented your invention?
- Are there trademarks and copyrights you should apply for now? Later?
- Is your idea eligible for “trade secret” protection? If so, what step should you take to ensure protection, including both state and new federal requirements?
The Proper Business Structure
A proper business structure can be the difference between getting Series A funding or ending-up as a failed business. Creating the proper business structure—a Inc., an LLC, a general or limited partnership, electing an s-Corp. designation—is a step each entrepreneur must take in order to take their business to the next level. We help our clients select a business structure that fits with the goals of their business and innovation.
Accelerators and Incubators
Accelerators and Incubators offer great opportunities to entrepreneurs—but, at what cost? At Janik Vinnakota, we educate our clients on what they receive and what they give up by joining an accelerator or incubator. If the deal makes business sense, we help create the proper documentation—Founders Agreements, Restricted Stock Purchase Agreements, Operating Agreements, etc.—so that our clients’ interests are properly protected. We also advise our clients on whether the accelerator or incubator is offering a “good deal” in light of industry trends and the terms and conditions similar incubators and accelerators are offering similar businesses. And, on the flip side, we advise accelerators or incubators whether the start-up business core intellectual property assets and organizational structures are properly protected to justify the risk in investment.
Proper business structure and proper intellectual property protection can attract investments into your business. By having the attorneys at Janik Vinnakota advise in the set-up of your business and protection of your IP, you will show potential investors that you are a serious business that is forward-thinking and proactive in mitigating legal risk. Likewise, we advise potential investors if the risk is worth having in light of unmitigated legal risks the start-up has.
Janik Vinnakota has helped start over forty new businesses. We have experience in many areas that many law firms lack. These areas of expertise include:
- Recommending technical advisors to help with the coding and creation of software or a host of other complex engineering technology and advising on the technical reduction of practice of your conceptual designs to product development
- Connecting our clients with our tax and financial advisors to help our clients grow their business
- Managing and strategically help plan our client’s intellectual property asset development at every stage
- Helping our clients build a team of employees that will attract next-level funding
- Taking simple steps today to help avoid litigation tomorrow
- Providing a trained team of litigation specialists—if your business ever faces a lawsuit, there is no need to find new lawyers—Janik Vinnakota offers full life-cycle legal services